Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Ode to Champ

I just realized today--OK, just now--that I went through an entire semester and I never truly dealt with the running-away of my dog Champ in August. I don't know why I didn't. It's weird how I found out about how he left. Here is a paraphrase:

{Scenery: My living room, Fall Break has just begun and I and my siblings are sitting around, chatting about life, etc. My Dad walks in}

Dad: I have some chores for you guys to do.
Children: [insert protests and whines]
Tamara: Haha, just don't make me feed Champ and I'm OK.

[silence]

Other Children: Too soon, Tamara.
Tamara: [insert confused look]
Kim: Wait, you were serious?
Tamara: [sensing something is not right] Yeah...why?
Kim: Champ ran away over a month ago. He left while you were in [awesome] Housing training and while the rest of us were in [even awesomer, much cooler than Training] Memphis and Missouri. We thought you knew.
Tamara: [insert sadness and devastation]

{End Scene}


I think that was quite possibly the worst way I could have found out about my dog leaving. Mad props to my family for bringing that one about. He was an awesome pet...we had him since he was 6 weeks old, and we kept him for 8 years. He was really sweet and rambunctious. He was like my dad's 5th child. Actually I kind of got a sneaky feeling every once in a while that my dad wouldn't have mind replacing us for Champ if it was possible. Just every once in a while though. I am writing this because my sisters and I were considering buying my parents a puppy for Christmas, but we knew that it would probably be a good idea to seek their approval first, considering that they would be the ones taking care of the puppy. Their vehement response of "NO" made me think about it, and I realize that my parents really loved Champ, especially my dad. I guess everybody needs time to heal...and a puppy is not the answer for everything. Although it should be. So here it is, my tribute to Champ.

[insert revered silence]





This is us giving Champ a bath in July. BTW, if you have seen a dog that looks like this, please let me know...

No comments: